05 April 2018

Buffalo + Washington, DC 2018

This past Easter weekend, I took a trip across the border. It included a loaded bus, hours of karaoke and just some wholesome community bonding.

First stop was Our Lady of Fatima Shrine. Gotta say the space was impressive. I reckon it looks a lot better either in the summer when the green comes out or in the winter when it's blanketed in snow.






Had my "first" cheesesteak at Charleys which I don't count as a true first since this is a chain restaurant and also I was not aware there were locations in Canada.. soo not novelty at all lol. It still filled me plenty though.

Arrived in Washington on Day 2. The weather was A+. I'm happy I had a little bit of time to sunbathe.


So many people. But I didn't feel claustrophobic yay.

For both nights, I stayed at two different Hampton Inns. They were good. The elevator doors laughing at me every morning..

Last attraction was Penn's Cave on Day 3 heading back.


It reminded me of the time I went to Banff. The chill and sunshine. Glorious days.

murica.
 aaand lastly, my souvenirs. Got me two shot cups from Penn's cave for the plenty of booze I hauled from duty free.

After thoughts --
Well, it's weird that I got post-travel blues because this trip wasn't particularly ~spiritually awakening~ but I definitely felt some sadness lol. Perhaps it was the reality of going back to work and restarting this nagging routine. I had a few days to think (shoutouts to late night drives) and  despite the reality that I'm in right now, I'm still grateful for the experience and my present. This must sound left field and emo, but basically I'm excited for my next adventure even if it gives me anxiety. 

As for a comprehensive tip when it comes to riding with tour groups... Bring earplugs. I was able to sleep all through  loud karaoke sessions and bunking with snorers. And overall, as an introvert who was constantly hustling with a group of too many people, it was the perfect way to disconnect into sweet, sweet silence. 

2 comments:

  1. who did you go with? i haven't been on a tour group bus ride in many years.. used to do it a lot as a kid but after i was able to drive - i kinda stopped. i feel like i wrote this out to you but i have no idea why i couldnt' find it. something about how i went to washington as a kid and sat in front of that pond just like forrest. i went again another time and they were renovating the entire water foundation so it had tarps and what not over it.. the construction workers were snickering at our tour group and one said something snarky like 'too bad haha.' what an ass eh. anyway glad to see the pics. my memory of washington was also green grass blue skies. nice museums too! better than ottawa -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with my family, relatives and family friends. I thought I'd hate tour buses cause.. people. But after being on a few in VN and also this one, I don't mind them. It definitely takes way all the planning and sense of direction which I lack severely.
      I've been to Ottawa only a handful of times but they do have similar vibes. Kinda old, kinda dead if it weren't for parliament lol. Any notable museums there?

      Delete