11 March 2018

Readings:




At long last I dragged myself through another of Dostoevsky's books! This is actually a two-in-one.
The first was The House of the Dead which went in depth of prison life and detailed even the mundane tasks of each convict. It was a long read, but some element or tone of the book compelled me to continue reading. The second was The Gambler which was based in Russia, in a fictional town called 'Roulettenburg', the main character struggles between his addiction to gambling or choosing to win over his love. If you know of/or are a gambler in life..  I guess this would be a relateable one. I dislike gambling and the book really depicted how far gambling can ruin lives and rip someone away from loved ones.

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami - What a surprise right?! Another Murakami novel (if you haven't noticed yet, yes I am an avid collector/fan). What can I say. It wasn't boring, nor thrilling. I just really enjoy his style of writing so whenever I need breaks between other genres, this is my go-to. This is kind of a triangle love story set in some nostalgic era of Tokyo and another portion in Greece following a mysterious disappearance.

An Artist of the Floating World - Kazuo Ishiguro - Somehow I ended up ordering a hardcover and softcover so I'm donating the latter. Let's see... don't expect the same suspense as Never Let Me Go. This was about an artist's coming-to-terms with his past and guilt in his role as a nationalist during the war which caused a rift between the older and younger generations as he attends 'o-miai' with his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment