06 August 2017

Reading round-up from whenever the last one was.

Oh boy. I'm trying so hard to read these days but can only make it through a few pages before getting distracted. I barely scraped by these gems.




Between Here and April - I'm not super articulated or a great book reviewer by any means, but this book made me feel some way. The plot revolved around post-partum depression and touched on gender roles with hints of trigger events and mental illness.. It was overall just very emotional. I had to pause from reading for a bit because there were definitely parts that resonated with me. I really liked the flow of the book but I wasn't a fan of the ending. I thought it was a bit lazy or the easy way out which opted for a semi-happy ending/the heavy topics weren't fully explained.

Death and the Penguin - This book made me feel like I was reading comic strips in text. The way it jumped from scene to scene was a new style I've never encountered. Although I enjoyed it and thought the presence of a penguin was cute, I feel like I didn't understand the potential. Maybe I'm missing history facts or literary construction (this happens a lot) but I feel like I read it quite literally.

Cheated - Random book I picked up from my book haul. The title comes full circle with the plot which gave me that familiar feeling of predictability of the books I read when I was younger about your (not-so) average group of rebellious teens, each with their own life story.

Wind / Pinball - I'm a loyal fan of Murakami so I had to add this to my collection. I'm infatuated by his style of writing giving his readers a sense of nostalgic melancholy as always. Since I've read a majority of his works now, I'm starting to sense a pattern.. or rather a categorization that either fall under 'strange and metaphorical', or 'splice of realism'. The former usually involves warped reality-- strange things happening explained in a dream-like state, while the latter is usually a college student studying in Tokyo in the 1950s involved in one or more relations and a day in the life kind of thing; Wind / Pinball is exactly that. So were Norwegian Wood (my favorite) and Colorless; so if you've read those, then consider them parallels.


No comments:

Post a Comment