29 November 2016

Stranger Times.

When I said that I was expecting to 'find myself' through my trip to Vietnam, I did not actually expect for it to happen. Yet, days after settling back home, I feel a lot melancholic because the trip exceeded my expectations. I can't pinpoint how I feel or what I gained, but in retrospect, something intangible was discovered. Perhaps because my preconception of Vietnam was flipped and I find myself saying that I could perhaps live there permanently if it wasn't so hot and the air wasn't so polluted. The culture shock wasn't anything of a shock because our lifestyles are quite traditional already. However, if I had to list one absolute gain from the whole experience, it would be the deep human connections.  The idea of my distant relatives were always a 12-hour difference that I took for granted. On the surface, I couldn't communicate clearly from my lack of ability to speak the language, but for the first time, I grasped the idea of the people and their importance in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment